Superfoods from distant countries on all supermarket shelves
In drugstores and supermarkets, they are often on an extra shelf: the superfoods. Even the most famous discounter runs it. They have exotic names like chia seeds and goji berries. The prices for these superfoods are as exotic as the name. Goji berries, for example, cost between 25.00-32.00 EUR per kilogram at the shipping giant.
How is exotic superfood received in Germany?
Many people want to eat healthy and pay close attention to their diet. They choose exotic superfoods. Since the marketing strategies of the exotic superfood producers are very sophisticated, some people think that some of our local fruits and vegetables are not superfoods. This is not correct.
We have them in the country: the superfoods!
There are a number of well-known types of fruit and vegetables that grow in Germany and can easily compete with superfood from distant countries. Only that we are simply no longer used to preparing such foods at all.
Leinsamen ist ein sehr wertvolles Lebensmittel, dass Sie bereits in Bio-Qualität für 4,00 EUR pro Kilogramm erhalten. Manche Menschen finden es jedoch nicht “hip” Leinsamen zu essen. Stattdessen greifen sie zu den in Mode geratenen Superfoods aus fernen Ländern.
In the following I would like to show you, for example, which macronutrients, minerals and vitamins the flaxed linseed contains.
100 g of flax seeds contain:
Protein 22.27 g
Fat 36.5 g
Carbohydrates 7.71 g
Kilocalories 488 kcal
Dietary fiber 22.7 g (you have already covered a large part of the daily requirement of 30 g fiber / day)
Minerals 3.32 g
Vitamin D 2.8 µg
Vitamin E 16 mg
Vitamin B1 0.46 mg
Vitamin B2 0.15 mg
Vitamin B6 0.43 mg
Vitamin K 4 µg
Vitamin B7 / biotin 16.4 µg
Beta carotene 48 µg
Niacin equivalent 9110 µg
You can see from the variety of vitamins and minerals that flaxseed is very valuable food. Flax seed promotes digestion and provides you with many vital vitamins and minerals.
What other valuable local superfoods are there?
Other local superfoods:
- Nettle (you can use it to create a delicious nettle salad or mix a fresh smoothie with tomato)
- Corn salad (together with onions and oranges a delicacy)
- Kale (kale even contains iron, which you can upgrade with vitamin C from kiwi and oranges in terms of iron absorption)
- Horseradish (mustard oils effectively fight bacteria and fungi in the human body)
- Purslane (even contains omega-3 fatty acids and is therefore an important omega-3 fatty acid source for vegetarians and vegans)
- Radicchio (especially in winter it strengthens the immune system and thus protects against colds)
- Sunflower seeds (provides protein and energy)
- Jerusalem artichoke (also known as diabetic potato and is suitable for losing weight)
- Walnuts (provide lots of protein and valuable fatty acids, but please do not nibble too many of the high-calorie nuts)
You can see from the list that there are many domestic superfoods that are usually not as expensive as the exotic superfoods that leave a significant ecological footprint from its consumers. The exotic superfoods are mostly flown in by plane.
Conclusion: Why go far, when happiness is so close! Reach for the local superfoods.